Veteran digital communications strategist, leading teams that lead organizations
- Building high-performing teams as a digital leader and change agent, with a demonstrated record of innovation.
- Creating digital strategies and content that deliver tangible results.
- Producing award-winning digital communications and marketing campaigns.
- Leveraging analytics for data-driven decision-making.
- Reached 2.6 million Ontarians in the #Just1Word campaign for the Ontario College of Teachers.
- Won gold at the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards and the CASE Accolades Awards.
- Achieved almost 400% growth in engagement and 1,400% growth in reach on Facebook over two years at York University.
- Web Design and Front-End Development
- User Experience (UX) Design
- User Interface (UI) Design
- Social Media Communications and Marketing
- Email Communications and Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Analytics and Reporting
- Crisis and Issues Management
Ontario College of Teachers, Toronto ON
Senior Digital Strategist
2016 – 2022
Leading digital media specialists and contractors building websites, intranets, social media, email communications and mobile applications (apps) for Canada’s largest professional regulator.
- Created ad copy and collaterals, managed budget, set targeting and produced detailed performance reports for 2016’s #Just1Word social media advertising campaign, reaching 2.6 million Ontarians.
- Directed redesign of annual report microsite, including new architecture, driving 300% increase in yearly visits.
- Led app redevelopment, achieving 84% increase in users.
- Spearheaded project to edit and update 45,000 words of English and French content on oct.ca, producing a 32% increase in visits and pageviews.
- Led project to make 3,100 pages of PDF content accessible and compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
York University, Toronto ON
2012 – 2016
Directed institutional digital communications, content marketing and digital crisis / issue management.
- Managed institutional social media accounts, driving growth of 127% in audience, 400% in engagement and almost 1,400% in reach for Facebook alone over two years.
- Won international Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Gold Award for interactive social media project at spring 2015 convocation.
- Almost 6,000 mentions, 6.1 million in potential reach and 97.5% positive sentiment.
- #YorkUConvo trended nationally.
- Created and executed institutional social media strategy for the CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Award-winning “Yes to York” campaign.
- Won “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards.
- Outperformed agency cost-per-click in Facebook ads by 100%.
- Created a cross-functional digital team of over 100 digital media practitioners.
Intuit, Global Business Division, Toronto ON
Social Media Manager
Led social media marketing for Quickbooks and GoPayment.
- Launched Intuit Canada Small Business blog.
- Directed social media for Small Business Week campaign, including webinar series with over 150 registrations for inaugural event.
- Developed online customer care apparatus for GoPayment, leading support team triaging and resolving issues and crisis situations.
Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto ON
Web Redesign Manager
2010 – 2012
Managed cross-functional team of internal developers / designers / producers and web development, project management and design vendors, implementing content management system and redeveloping website and online content.
- Coordinated multiple stakeholders and led weekly strategy sessions with senior leadership, including Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Championed institutional social media efforts, developing a cross-functional stakeholder team.
- Partnered with Google, initiating museum’s participation in Google Cultural Institute.
Association of Canadian Advertisers, Toronto ON
Earth Day Canada, Toronto ON
Webmaster / Creative Director
Webmaster / Creative Director
Education and Professional Development
- Leadership Essentials Certificate
University of Toronto, Toronto ON
- Postgraduate Certificate in Internet Management with Honours
Humber College, Toronto ON
- Bachelor of Journalism
University of King’s College, Halifax NS
- Bachelor of Arts (English Literature)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax NS
- Fluent in English and French
- Adobe suite
Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro
Facebook, Google, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Content management
- Email communications
LISTSERV Maestro, Litmus
Excel, PowerPoint, Project Professional, Visio, Word
- Social media and web analytics
Brandwatch, Cision, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Meltwater, Siteimprove, Sprout Social
Morae, Optimal Workshop
- Web design and development
- June 2016 – Gold in the “Advocacy” category at the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards
- April 2016 – Top Engagement Rate, Instagram, from Engagement Labs
- December 2015 – Gold in the “Social Media” category at the CASE Accolades Awards
- July 2015 – “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards
Teaching & Lecturing
- University of Guelph-Humber, Toronto: 2021
- Guest lecturer on social media listening and measurement tools for fourth-year Bachelor of Public Relations Students
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Information, Toronto ON: 2018
- Guest lecturer on accessibility practices for a course in the Faculty of Information, “KMD 2002H: Technologies for Knowledge Media,” at the University of Toronto.
- York University, Toronto ON: 2016
- Online & in-class lectures to graduate students on using social media for academia / research.
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto ON: 2015
- Hands-on workshops for social media monitoring & measurement for Schulich’s MBA and BBA programs.
- George Brown College, Centre for Continuous Learning, Toronto ON: 2014 – 2015
- Taught a hands-on Facebook marketing course to post-graduate students.
- Taught both online and offline versions of the course, and developed course curriculum and lesson plans.
- Ryerson University, ADaPT program & School of Continuing Education, Toronto ON: 2013 – 2015
- Lecturing and hands-on workshops in social media monitoring & metrics, and social media dashboards.
- Seneca College & Centennial College, Toronto ON: 2013
- Guest lecturer in social media monitoring & metrics, and writing for social media.
Speaking & Volunteer Highlights
- 2021: Speaker, #a11yTO digital accessibility conference
- 2020: Speaker, CNAR digital conference
- 2018 – present: Member, Program Advisory Council, Certificate in User Experience (UX) Design, York University
- 2016 – present: Member, International Association of Business Communicators
- 2009 – 2019: Speaker, PodCamp Toronto technology conference
- 2011 – 2017: Co-founder / Organizer, Social Media Café Toronto
- 2014 – 2015: Speaker, PSEWEB digital marketing conference
- 2012 – 2013: Panelist, Social Media Week Toronto
- 2012: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America’s northeast district annual conference, New York