Resume: Mark Farmer
Social media and digital marketing communications veteran with over 15 years’ experience online.
- Proven track record of building brand and audience through innovations in social media, web and digital marketing communications for corporate and non-profit clients.
- Demonstrated success in analyzing complex business needs and problems to produce digital strategies that boost reach, engagement and interaction.
- Expertise leading small teams and larger cross-functional groups to navigate changing institutional priorities.
- Skilled in uncovering essential business intelligence through digital analytics and online listening.
Senior Digital Media Specialist
Aug 2016 – present
Ontario College of Teachers, Toronto ON
- Leading a team of three digital media specialists in maintaining and developing the institution’s website, intranets, social media, email communications, mobile presence and more.
- Achieved an estimated 2.6 million in reach and 6 million impressions in the fall 2016 #Just1Word campaign.
- Led an AODA WCAG accessibility project, making over 3100 pages of PDFs AODA-compliant in just 2.5 months.
Nov 2012 – Aug 2016
York University, Toronto ON
- Led institutional digital communications and content marketing at Canada’s third-largest university, including a cross-functional team of over 100 digital media practitioners.
- Responsible for managing institutional Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Periscope, Pinterest and Snapchat accounts, and for co-managing Twitter and YouTube. Over two years on Facebook alone, oversaw 127% growth in fans, almost 1400% growth in reach and 400% growth in engagement.
- Won gold at the 2015 CASE District II awards for a social media projection project at York’s spring 2015 convocation. Achieved almost 6,000 mentions and 6.1 million in potential reach with 97.5% positive sentiment: http://www.casetwo.org/services_and_programs/awards/accolades_awards_program/accolades_award_winners.html.
- Won “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards: http://pseweb.ca/2015/07/canadian-university-college-social-media-awards. Tied for top engagement on Instagram for all Canadian universities & colleges in 2016 Engagement Labs study.
- Outperformed agency CPC in Facebook ads by 100%, had each Twitter ad in York’s “My Time” campaign place in the top 30% of all Twitter ad campaigns, and outperformed 99% of Instagram ads in CPC.
- Developed institutional strategies, guidelines and best practices for York, including an average of 20 major and minor online marketing campaigns per year. Led SEO / SEM strategy development for various units.
Social Media Manager
June 2012 – Oct 2012
Intuit Global Business Division, Toronto ON
- Grew the social media marketing presence for Intuit’s Global Business Division in Canada.
- Launched Intuit Canada’s Small Business Blog and managed social media for Intuit’s small business week campaign, launching a webinar series that drew over 150 registrations for the inaugural event.
- Managed institutional Facebook and Twitter accounts for QuickBooks and GoPayment products.
- Developed the online customer care apparatus for Intuit’s GoPayment product, leading a customer support team in triaging and resolving customer issues and crisis situations.
Web Redesign Manager
Aug 2010 – May 2012
Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto ON
- Led a comprehensive website redesign project and the implementation of an institutional Drupal Content Management System (CMS).
- Managed a cross-functional team of developers, designers and producers, two Ottawa-based web development and project management firms, and a New York design agency to redevelop the museum’s website, social media and online content.
- Led social media efforts at the institution, including development of a governance structure, a cross-functional stakeholder team and a steering group.
- Initiated the ROM’s participation in Google’s Cultural Institute: negotiated the first contract, planned the initial engagement and more: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/collection/royal-ontario-museum.
Contractor – Online Communications and Web Development
Sept 2009 – Aug 2010
- Eco Generation Services, Toronto ON
- Designed a Google AdWords & SEO campaign, increasing site traffic by a factor of 35X.
- Summerhill Group, Toronto ON
- Redeveloped two large websites in less than two months as part of a company-wide rebranding.
- Brightworks Interactive Marketing, Toronto ON
- Produced Google Analytics & AdWords intelligence reports, and SEO / SEM recommendations for large pharmaceutical clients such as Bayer Canada, Purdue Pharma and Medicis Pharmaceutical.
- Neighbourhood Almanac, Toronto ON
- Designed and developed the prototype for a hyperlocal website system based on the Joomla CMS.
- Give Green Canada, Victoria BC
- Designed and managed email communications for BC-based fundraising organization.
Communications Specialist / Consultant
March 2008 – June 2009
Association of Canadian Advertisers, Toronto ON
- Developed and managed the ACA’s two bilingual websites, including development of a competitor analysis and organizational needs assessment.
- Increased website unique visits by 69% and page views by 50% year-over-year.
- Implemented the first social media at the association, including blogs, streaming video, podcasts, Twitter and webinars. Increased seminar registration 70% through the introduction of webinars.
- Redesigned the association’s monthly newsletter for electronic distribution, and cross-linked to a bilingual blog, resulting in 65% more site traffic.
Webmaster /Creative Director
Feb 2003 – March 2008
Earth Day Canada, Toronto ON
- Managed daily operations and development of eight main websites involving six programs, fifteen internal clients and thousands of web pages.
- Oversaw an average annual increase in web traffic across all programs of 317% by page views and 436% by unique visitors.
- Coordinated a Google AdWords campaign, resulting in a record 68 gigabytes of data served on Earth Day 2007 to over 67,000 unique visitors.
- Led the organization’s electronic communications and jointly led its strategic communications and brand development in tandem with senior management..
Consultant – Online Communications and Web Development
May 1997 – Dec 2002
- The Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce, London UK
- Created an organizational web development strategy, and developed / maintained various website components.
- egroup, inc., Toronto ON / London UK
- Developed a website audit, communications plan and a competitor analysis for online-exams.com.
- Redeveloped the site content and interface, and migrated it to a third-party ISP.
- TransCanada PipeLines (TCPL), Calgary AB
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Developed intranet sites, usability & user surveys and communications plans for several internal clients.
- Executed an information & training audit for a new project management initiative, and edited all training & promotional materials.
- SAP database migration project
- Led a team of associates, contractors, planners and clerks through a series of tight deadlines.
- Coached and trained team members, coordinated workflows, and prepared status reports for management.
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Postgraduate Certificate in Internet Management
Humber College, Toronto ON
- Bachelor of Journalism
University of King’s College, Halifax NS
- Bachelor of Arts (English)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax NS
- June, 2016 – Gold in the “Advocacy” category at the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards: http://www.case.org/Awards/Circle_of_Excellence/Previous_Winners/2016_Winners/Advocacy_Campaigns_2016.html.
- April, 2016 – Top Engagement Rate, Instagram, from Engagement Labs: http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/university-british-columbia-brock-university-queens-university-make-social-media-honor-tsx-venture-el-2114463.htm.
- December, 2015 – Gold in the “Social Media” category at the CASE Accolades Awards: http://www.casetwo.org/services_and_programs/awards/accolades_awards_program/accolades_award_winners.html.
- July, 2015 – “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards: http://pseweb.ca/2015/07/canadian-university-college-social-media-awards.
- Adobe Suite
Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop.
Excel, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint, Visio, Word.
- Social Media & Web Analytics and monitoring
Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Radian6, Sprout Social, Sysomos Heartbeat.
- Web design and development
HTML, CSS, XHTML.
- Hootsuite Social Media Marketing Dashboard Certified Professional: learn.hootsuite.com/u/markus64.
- Languages: bilingual, English and French.
Teaching & Lecturing
- York University, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Toronto ON: 2016
- Online & in-class lecture to graduate students on using social media for academia / research.
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto ON: 2015
- Hands-on workshops for social media monitoring & measurement for Schulich’s MBA and BBA programs.
- George Brown College, Centre for Continuous Learning, Toronto ON: 2014 – 2015
- Taught a hands-on Facebook marketing course to post-graduate students: coned.georgebrown.ca.
- Taught both online and offline versions of the course, and developed course curriculum and lesson plans.
- Ryerson University, ADaPT program & School of Continuing Education, Toronto ON: 2013 – 2015
- Lecturing and hands-on workshops in social media monitoring & metrics, and social media dashboards.
- Seneca College & Centennial College, Toronto ON: 2013
- Guest lecturer in social media monitoring & metrics, and writing for social media.
Speaking & Volunteer Highlights
- 2016 – present: Member, Regulatory Communicators’ Network.
- 2016 – present: Member, International Association of Business Communicators.
- 2009 – 2017: Speaker, PodCamp Toronto technology conference.
- 2011 – 2016: Co-founder / Organizer, Social Media Café Toronto.
- 2016: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America Buffalo Niagara chapter seminar series.
- 2014 – 2015: Speaker, PSEWEB digital marketing conference.
- 2012 – 2013: Panelist, Social Media Week Toronto.
- 2012: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America’s northeast district annual conference, New York.
- 2012: Speaker, NXNE Interactive.
- 2011: Founder, Toronto Museums & Culture Online Collective.
- 2009 – 2012: Speaker, MyCharityConnects technology conference.