Resume: Mark Farmer
Digital communications veteran with over 15 years’ experience online.
- Proven track record of building brand and audience through digital innovation.
- Demonstrated success in analyzing complex business needs to produce digital strategies that boost reach, engagement and interaction.
- Expertise leading small teams and larger cross-functional groups to navigate changing institutional priorities.
- Skilled in uncovering essential business intelligence through digital analytics and online monitoring.
- Leading a team of digital media specialists and contractors to develop and maintain the institution’s website, intranets, social media, email communications, apps and more.
- Achieved an estimated 2.6 million in reach and 6 million impressions in the fall 2016 #Just1Word campaign.
- Led an AODA WCAG accessibility project, making over 3100 pages of PDFs AODA-compliant in just 2.5 months. Led a similar project to migrate 20 years of PDF magazine content to HTML in just three months.
- Responsible for institutional AODA compliance, accessibility, and user / usability testing ( UX ).
- Led institutional digital communications and content marketing at Canada’s third-largest university, including a cross-functional team of over 100 digital media practitioners.
- Responsible for managing institutional Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Snapchat accounts, and for co-managing Twitter and YouTube. Over two years on Facebook alone, oversaw 127% growth in fans, 400% growth in engagement and almost 1,400% growth in reach.
- Won gold at the 2015 CASE District II awards for a social media projection project. Achieved almost 6,000 social media mentions and 6.1 million in potential reach, with 97.5% positive sentiment.
- Won “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards. Tied for top engagement on Instagram in the 2016 Engagement Labs study.
- Developed institutional strategies, guidelines and best practices for the institution, including an average of 20 major and minor online marketing campaigns per year. Led SEO / SEM strategy development for various units.
- Grew the social media marketing presence for Intuit’s Global Business Division in Canada.
- Launched Intuit Canada’s Small Business Blog, and managed social media for Intuit’s small business week campaign, launching a webinar series that drew over 150 registrations for the inaugural event.
- Managed institutional Facebook and Twitter accounts for the QuickBooks and GoPayment products.
- Developed the online customer care apparatus for Intuit’s GoPayment product, leading a customer support team in triaging and resolving customer issues and crisis situations.
- Led a comprehensive website redesign project and the implementation of an institutional Drupal Content Management System.
- Managed a cross-functional team of developers, designers and producers, two Ottawa-based web development and project management firms, and a New York design agency to redevelop the museum’s website, social media and online content.
- Led social media efforts at the institution, including development of a governance structure, a cross-functional stakeholder team and a steering group.
- Initiated the ROM’s participation in Google’s Cultural Institute.
- Eco Generation Services, Toronto ON
- Designed a Google AdWords & SEO campaign, increasing site traffic by a factor of 35X.
- Summerhill Group, Toronto ON
- Redeveloped two large websites in less than two months as part of a company-wide rebranding.
- Brightworks Interactive Marketing, Toronto ON
- Produced Google Analytics & AdWords intelligence reports, and SEO / SEM recommendations for large pharmaceutical clients such as Bayer Canada, Purdue Pharma and Medicis Pharmaceutical.
- Neighbourhood Almanac, Toronto ON
- Designed and developed the prototype for a hyperlocal website system based on the Joomla CMS.
- Give Green Canada, Victoria BC
- Designed and managed email communications for BC-based fundraising organization.
- Developed and managed the ACA’s two bilingual websites, including development of a competitor analysis and organizational needs assessment.
- Increased website unique visits by 69% and page views by 50% year-over-year.
- Implemented the first social media at the association, including blogs, streaming video, podcasts, Twitter and webinars. Increased seminar registration 70% through the introduction of webinars.
- Redesigned the association’s monthly newsletter for electronic distribution, and cross-linked to a bilingual blog, resulting in a 65% increase in site traffic.
- Managed daily operations and development of eight main websites involving six programs, fifteen internal clients and thousands of web pages.
- Oversaw an average annual increase in web traffic across all programs of 436% as measured by unique visitors.
- Coordinated a Google AdWords campaign, resulting in a record 68 gigabytes of data served on Earth Day 2007 to over 67,000 unique visitors.
- Led the organization’s electronic communications and jointly led its strategic communications and brand development in tandem with senior management.
- The Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce, London UK
- Created an organizational web development strategy, and developed / maintained various website components.
- egroup, inc., Toronto ON / London UK
- Developed a website audit, communications plan and a competitor analysis for egroup property, online-exams.com.
- Redeveloped the site’s content and interface, and migrated it to a third-party ISP.
- TransCanada PipeLines, Calgary AB
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Developed intranet sites, usability & user surveys and communications plans for several internal clients.
- Executed an information & training audit for a new project management initiative, and edited all training & promotional materials.
- SAP database migration project
- Led a team of associates, contractors, planners and clerks through a series of tight deadlines.
- Coached and trained team members, coordinated workflows, and prepared status reports for management.
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Postgraduate Certificate in Internet Management
Humber College, Toronto ON
- Bachelor of Journalism
University of King’s College, Halifax NS
- Bachelor of Arts (English)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax NS
- June, 2016 – Gold in the “Advocacy” category at the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards.
- April, 2016 – Top Engagement Rate, Instagram, by Engagement Labs:
- December, 2015 – Gold in the “Social Media” category at the CASE Accolades Awards.
- July, 2015 – “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards.
- Adobe suite
Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Content management & UX
Morae, Optimal Workshop, Sitecore, Siteimprove.
Excel, PowerPoint, Project Professional, Word.
- Social media and web analytics
Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Meltwater, Salesforce Social Studio, Sprout Social, Sysomos Heartbeat.
- Web design and development
HTML, CSS, SharePoint, XHTML.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Hootsuite Certified Professional.
Teaching & Lecturing
- York University, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Toronto ON: 2016
- Online & in-class lectures to graduate students on using social media for academia / research.
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto ON: 2015
- Hands-on workshops for social media monitoring & measurement for Schulich’s MBA and BBA programs.
- George Brown College, Centre for Continuous Learning, Toronto ON: 2014 – 2015
- Taught a hands-on Facebook marketing course to post-graduate students.
- Taught both online and offline versions of the course, and developed course curriculum and lesson plans.
- Ryerson University, ADaPT program & School of Continuing Education, Toronto ON: 2013 – 2015
- Lecturing and hands-on workshops in social media monitoring & metrics, and social media dashboards.
- Seneca College & Centennial College, Toronto ON: 2013
- Guest lecturer in social media monitoring & metrics, and writing for social media.
Speaking & Volunteer Highlights
- 2016 – present: Member, Regulatory Communicators Network.
- 2016 – present: Member, International Association of Business Communicators.
- 2009 – 2017: Speaker, PodCamp Toronto technology conference.
- 2011 – 2017: Co-founder / Organizer, Social Media Café Toronto.
- 2016: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America Buffalo Niagara chapter seminar series.
- 2014 – 2015: Speaker, PSEWEB digital marketing conference.
- 2012 – 2013: Panelist, Social Media Week Toronto.
- 2012: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America’s northeast district annual conference, New York.
- 2012: Speaker, NXNE Interactive.
- 2011: Founder, Toronto Museums & Culture Online Collective.
- 2009 – 2012: Speaker, MyCharityConnects technology conference.