Resume: Mark Farmer
Digital communications veteran with over 15 years’ experience online
- Proven track record of building brand and audience through digital innovation.
- Demonstrated success in creating digital strategies that boost reach and engagement.
- Expertise leading small/mid-sized teams and larger cross-functional groups.
- Deep understanding of the use of digital analytics in developing essential business intelligence.
- Reached an estimated 2.6 million Ontarians in the Ontario College of Teacher’s 2016 #Just1Word campaign.
- Won gold at the 2016 CASE Circle of Excellence Awards and the 2015 CASE Accolades Awards.
- Achieved almost 400% growth in engagement and 1400% growth in reach on Facebook over two years at York University.
Senior Digital Media Strategist
Aug 2016 – present
Ontario College of Teachers, Toronto ON
- Leading a team of digital media specialists in building the College’s websites, intranets, social media, email communications and apps.
- Reached an estimated 2.6 million Ontarians during the 2016 #Just1Word campaign.
- Developed & deploying a comprehensive three-year institutional digital strategy.
- Led projects to make over 3,100 pages of PDFs AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) compliant in just 2.5 months, and to migrate 21 years of PDF content to HTML.
- Technical lead on redesign and rearchitecture of the institution’s website in 2018/2019.
- Technical lead on redesign and rearchitecture of the institution’s annual report microsite in 2017, resulting in a 300% increase in visits over 2016.
- Key work areas include accessibility, AODA compliance and user / usability testing ( UX ).
Nov 2012 – Aug 2016
York University, Toronto ON
- Led institutional digital communications and content marketing at Canada’s third-largest university, including a cross-functional team of over 100 digital media practitioners.
- Responsible for managing institutional Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Snapchat accounts, and for co-managing Twitter and YouTube. Over two years on Facebook alone, oversaw 127% growth in fans, 400% growth in engagement and 1,400% growth in reach.
- Won gold at the 2015 CASE District II awards for a social media projection project. Achieved almost 6,000 social media mentions and 6.1 million in potential reach, with 97.5% positive sentiment.
- Won “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards. Tied for top engagement on Instagram in the 2016 Engagement Labs study.
- Developed institutional strategies, guidelines and best practices for the institution, including an average of 20 major and minor online marketing campaigns per year. Led SEO / SEM strategy development for various units.
Social Media Manager
June 2012 – Oct 2012
Intuit’s Global Business Division, Toronto ON
- Grew the social media marketing presence for Intuit’s Global Business Division in Canada.
- Launched Intuit Canada’s Small Business Blog, and managed social media for Intuit’s small business week campaign, launching a webinar series that drew over 150 registrations for the inaugural event.
- Managed institutional Facebook and Twitter accounts for the QuickBooks and GoPayment products.
- Developed the online customer care apparatus for Intuit’s GoPayment product, leading a customer support team in triaging and resolving customer issues and crisis situations.
Web Redesign Manager
Aug 2010 – May 2012
Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto ON
- Led a comprehensive website redesign project and the implementation of an institutional Drupal Content Management System.
- Managed a cross-functional team of developers, designers and producers, two Ottawa-based web development and project management firms, and a New York design agency to redevelop the museum’s website, social media and online content.
- Led social media efforts at the institution, including development of a governance structure, a cross-functional stakeholder team and a steering group.
- Initiated the ROM’s participation in Google’s Cultural Institute.
Contractor – Online Communications and Web Development
Sept 2009 – Aug 2010
- Eco Generation Services, Toronto ON
- Designed a Google AdWords & SEO campaign, increasing site traffic by a factor of 35X.
- Summerhill Group, Toronto ON
- Redeveloped two large websites in less than two months as part of a company-wide rebranding.
- Brightworks Interactive Marketing, Toronto ON
- Produced Google Analytics & AdWords intelligence reports, and SEO / SEM recommendations for large pharmaceutical clients such as Bayer Canada, Purdue Pharma and Medicis Pharmaceutical.
- Neighbourhood Almanac, Toronto ON
- Designed and developed the prototype for a hyperlocal website system based on the Joomla CMS.
- Give Green Canada, Victoria BC
- Designed and managed email communications for BC-based fundraising organization.
Communications Specialist / Consultant
March 2008 – June 2009
Association of Canadian Advertisers, Toronto ON
- Developed and managed the ACA’s two bilingual websites, including development of a competitor analysis and organizational needs assessment.
- Increased website unique visits by 69% and page views by 50% year-over-year.
- Implemented the first social media at the association, including blogs, streaming video, podcasts, Twitter and webinars. Increased seminar registration 70% through the introduction of webinars.
- Redesigned the association’s monthly newsletter for electronic distribution, and cross-linked to a bilingual blog, resulting in a 65% increase in site traffic.
Webmaster / Creative Director
Feb 2003 – March 2008
Earth Day Canada, Toronto ON
- Managed daily operations and development of eight main websites involving six programs, fifteen internal clients and thousands of web pages.
- Oversaw an average annual increase in unique visitors of 436%.
- Coordinated a Google AdWords campaign, resulting in a record 68 gigabytes of data served on Earth Day 2007 to over 67,000 unique visitors.
- Led the organization’s electronic communications and jointly led its strategic communications and brand development in tandem with senior management.
Consultant – Online Communications and Web Development
May 1997 – Dec 2002
- The Canada-UK Chamber of Commerce, London UK
- Created an organizational web development strategy, and developed / maintained various website components.
- egroup, inc., Toronto ON / London UK
- Developed a website audit, communications plan and a competitor analysis for egroup property, online-exams.com.
- Redeveloped the site’s content and interface, and migrated it to a third-party ISP.
- TransCanada PipeLines, Calgary AB
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Developed intranet sites, usability & user surveys and communications plans for several internal clients.
- Executed an information & training audit for a new project management initiative, and edited all training & promotional materials.
- SAP database migration project
- Led a team of associates, contractors, planners and clerks through a series of tight deadlines.
- Coached and trained team members, coordinated workflows, and prepared status reports for management.
- Web lead for several intranet projects
- Postgraduate Certificate in Internet Management
Humber College, Toronto ON
- Bachelor of Journalism
University of King’s College, Halifax NS
- Bachelor of Arts (English)
Saint Mary’s University, Halifax NS
- June, 2016 – Gold in the “Advocacy” category at the CASE Circle of Excellence Awards.
- April, 2016 – Top Engagement Rate, Instagram, by Engagement Labs:
- December, 2015 – Gold in the “Social Media” category at the CASE Accolades Awards.
- July, 2015 – “Top Instagram Account” at the 2015 Canadian University & College Social Media Awards.
- Adobe suite
Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, Photoshop.
DoubleClick, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter ads.
- Content management & UX
Morae, Optimal Workshop, Sitecore, Siteimprove.
Excel, PowerPoint, Project Professional, Visio, Word.
- Social media and web analytics
Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Meltwater, Salesforce Social Studio, Sprout Social, Sysomos Heartbeat.
- Web design and development
HTML, CSS, SharePoint, Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio, XHTML.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Hootsuite Certified Professional.
Teaching & Lecturing
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Information, Toronto ON: 2018
- Guest lecturer on accessibility practices for a course in the Faculty of Information, “KMD 2002H: Technologies for Knowledge Media,” at the University of Toronto.
- York University, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Toronto ON: 2016
- Online & in-class lectures to graduate students on using social media for academia / research.
- Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto ON: 2015
- Hands-on workshops for social media monitoring & measurement for Schulich’s MBA and BBA programs.
- George Brown College, Centre for Continuous Learning, Toronto ON: 2014 – 2015
- Taught a hands-on Facebook marketing course to post-graduate students.
- Taught both online and offline versions of the course, and developed course curriculum and lesson plans.
- Ryerson University, ADaPT program & School of Continuing Education, Toronto ON: 2013 – 2015
- Lecturing and hands-on workshops in social media monitoring & metrics, and social media dashboards.
- Seneca College & Centennial College, Toronto ON: 2013
- Guest lecturer in social media monitoring & metrics, and writing for social media.
Speaking & Volunteer Highlights
- 2018 – present: Member, Program Advisory Council, Certificate in User Experience (UX) Design, York University.
- 2016 – present: Member, Regulatory Communicators Network.
- 2016 – present: Member, International Association of Business Communicators.
- 2009 – 2018: Speaker, PodCamp Toronto technology conference.
- 2011 – 2017: Co-founder / Organizer, Social Media Café Toronto.
- 2016: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America Buffalo Niagara chapter seminar series.
- 2014 – 2015: Speaker, PSEWEB digital marketing conference.
- 2012 – 2013: Panelist, Social Media Week Toronto.
- 2012: Speaker, Public Relations Society of America’s northeast district annual conference, New York.
- 2012: Speaker, NXNE Interactive.
- 2011: Founder, Toronto Museums & Culture Online Collective.
- 2009 – 2012: Speaker, MyCharityConnects technology conference.